Avda. Antonio Belón, 2
Marbella CP: 29602 (MÁLAGA)
It was built in 1568 (16th century). On the front right-hand corner of the building are a sundial, various shields and some commemorative stone plaques, well preserved, which refer to the building’s extension and the water supply to public fountains.
A wide wrought iron balcony, a grandious Mudéjar style façade and various murals with heraldry motifs, the shield of Felipe II and the city of Marbella in the old courtroom are highlighted.
It is an interesting building of the 16th century. It was the residence of Mr Alonso de Bazán, mayor of the castle and the permanent alderman of the city who later ordered its convertion into a hospital for poor people. Mudéjar, Gothic and Renaissance elements are intermingled in its construction. It is currently used as the Spanish Contemporary Engravings Museum.
Leaving the old town, on the way to Puerto Banús, on the beach side, we can visit the archaeological remains of an hispanic-roman villa. These archaeological remains date back to the 1st and 2nd centuries AD and were excavated and exhibited, as we can see nowadays, in 1962. The name of the villa comes from the name of the river where was erected. Only remains a beautiful mosaic paving of a house, which once had 5 rooms around an internal courtyard.
Going from San Pedro de Alcántara, on the way to the beach, you arrive to Linda Vista area, considered an important site of historical remains. The paleo-christian basilica of Vega del Mar, is one of the most important examples of the Paleo-Christian era (the 4th century) in Spain. The basilica was surronded by a visigothic necropolis. It was found at the beginning of the 20th century. Among the discoveries, objects which were found are showed in National Archaeological Museum.
These remains dated to the 3rd century were found in 1926. After its study, the most definitive conclusion is that they were Roman baths. However, some consider that they were big deposits which collected water from nearby aqueducts.
The remains of these Roman Baths were found in 1926. After the study of the Vaults, the most definitive conclusion is that they were Roman baths. However some consider that they were big deposits which collected water from nearby aqueducts.
There are free guided tours around the Roman Villa, the Paleo-Christian Basilica and the Roman Baths.
Please, ask for more information in the hotel.
It was built in the 10th century. During its constructions, materials from an old roman building which existed before were re-used. In the street called Trinidad, we apreciate three Ionic capitals giving evidence about it. The castle passed through different reforms until the 18th century when loosing its use for war and finally getting integrated in the town.